Friday, October 16, 2015

The Girl From The Well - Rin Chupeco (The Girl From The Well #1)

This is my heebie jeebies of the year. I saw The Ring when I was about 7 or 8. I saw The Grudge when I was about 14. Dexter when I was in high school. Yes. I just binge watched these. I never knew where these stories came from but they were quite terrifying. 

Honestly, I thought I was going to be just fine and be able to handle a real-life horror movie by going to a haunted house. It wasn't alright. I have never hyperventilated in my life and nonetheless, a panic attack. When I saw the version of their Ring in the elevator get up close and personal with me, my heart plummeted to my stomach. I tripped over the steps inside the maze and I just about died every turn. 

I found myself to be a horror movie fanatic but it seems that I can't even handle being in one. I believe The Chainsaw Massacre guy felt pity for me while I was out of breath in the maze. I broke down in the middle of it and started crying.

Yes, yes... I know. Actors cannot touch you and you can't touch them. They aren't real. They can't get you. I've heard it all while my friends were comforting me. It doesn't make it any less real for my panic. So I wanted to dedicate this review to my friends who refused to leave my side even when I wanted them to go through the scarier one with clowns and shit. 
Published Date: May 1, 2015
Genre: Horror/Young Adult
Synopsis: You may think me biased, being murdered myself. But my state of being has nothing to do with the curiosity toward my own species, if we can be called such. We do not go gentle, as your poet encourages, into that good night. 

A dead girl walks the streets.

She hunts murderers. Child killers, much like the man who threw her body down a well three hundred years ago.

And when a strange boy bearing stranger tattoos moves into the neighborhood so, she discovers, does something else. And soon both will be drawn into the world of eerie doll rituals and dark Shinto exorcisms that will take them from American suburbia to the remote valleys and shrines of Aomori, Japan.

Because the boy has a terrifying secret - one that would just kill to get out. 

The Girl from the Well is A YA Horror novel pitched as "Dexter" meets "The Grudge", based on a well-loved Japanese ghost story.

Honestly, this book was not as creepy as hell as it could have been. The story behind Okiku is very tragic and it gave me more insight on the Japanese folklore. I believe that it was the cover that creeped me out more than anything else. Would I rather have not read this and wasted my time? Yeah, probably. But I need my share of here jeebies. I'm probably never going to read this again so maybe I will put it up as a giveaway or just sell it at a cheaper price...

It was supposed to be artistically written but all it did was make me bad with the formatting. The story itself is creepy but everyone had different versions throughout the book and I felt bad for the main guy. 

I thought this was going to be some kind of tragic romance but I realized how creepy it would be a for a 17 year old boy and the ghost of 300 some years to be in love. I guess it was more maternal than anything. 

I am going to go ahead and rate this a 2 out of 5 stars. The only reason it is at a 2 is because it was creepy and it is nearing Halloween which is one of my favorite holidays of the year. Technically, every holiday is my favorite because hey, no school and more reading. It's a low rating because of the writing style and made it seem very childish where I had to put the book down several times just to get my brain together again.

I can see Dexter because of the fact that she revenged her own death amongst other killers, making them suffer just as she had. I could see the Grudge and the Ring because those are the classic Japanese girls coming out of the most random shit and making you jump in the movies and killing everyone while housing malevolent spirits within themselves. I'd rather binge watch the movies once again.

Anyways, blog you later awesome book nerds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
DESIGN BY THE BLOG DECORATOR