Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Mister Monday - Gath Nix (The Keys to the Kingdom #1)

Published Date: March 1, 2005
Genre: Fantasy/Young Adult

Synopsis: Seven days. Seven keys. Seven virtues. Seven sins. One mysterious house is the doorway to a very mysterious world -- where one boy is about to venture and unlock a number of fantastical secrets.

Review from Barnes and Nobel (Matt Warner) : Fantasy master Garth Nix dreams up a world where time mixes with place -- and one boy must enter it to recover one of seven all-powerful keys -- in this first mind-bending installment of The Keys to the Kingdom.

Arthur Penhaligon's first days at his new school don't go too well, particularly when a fiendish Mister Monday appears, gives Arthur a magical clock hand, and then orders his gang of dog-faced goons to chase Arthur around and get it back. But when the confused and curious boy discovers that a mysterious virus is spreading through town, he decides to enter an otherworldly house to stop it. After meeting Suzy Blue and the first part of "the Will" (a frog-looking entity that knows everything about the House), Arthur learns that he's been selected as Rightful Heir to the House and must get the other part of the clock hand in order to defeat Monday. That means getting past Monday's henchmen and journeying to the Dayroom itself. Thankfully, Arthur is up to the challenge, but as he finds out, his fight seems to be only one-seventh over.

With a weapon-wielding hero and a villain who doesn't make Mondays any nicer, Nix's Keys to the Kingdom launch is imaginative and gripping. After an action-packed crescendo to the book's middle -- when Arthur finally learns his destiny -- Nix keeps the drama going and doesn't let it fall. By the end, you might be winded from all the fantastic explanation, but you'll definitely be salivating for what's to come.

I was very interested in this book when my friend showed me the series. While we were at work, we were talking about the kind of books that we were interested in and because Young Adult books came up as a similarity. Her favorite author/series was the The Keys to the Kingdom - Garth Nix and I exchanged that I was really interested in The Mortal Instruments - Cassandra Clare as of now.

If she didn't tell me what the book was about, I am sure that I would have been fairly confused. It turns out that Nix was trying to portray the seven deadly sins although, I did not feel that from Mister Monday. I was set on loving this book but the beginning was almost too boring. 

But then I was thinking, what does everyone think when the dreadful Monday rolls around: Sleepiness, Angsty, Angry... I figured it went more with Sleepiness because Monday seemed to want to do nothing. So Sloth is the Sin that I paired with Mister Monday. Tell me what you guys think it could possibly be!

Whenever I am reading, I am usually on the train, heading to work and it was hard to get past the first two chapters. The third chapter is where things I to really interesting where we had some action going on or at least about to happen. I did however liked the ending. Something interesting. No romance. Funny characters. 

I felt as if there was a lot of things going on, almost hard to keep up but if you like things happening all around you, strange words, and etc. This is the book for you. 

I rate this book a solid 3 stars out of 5. I hope that Grim Tuesday is a bit better.

Blog you later, awesome book nerds! I will be back with Vacation (Movie), Rebels: City of Indra - Kendall/Kylie Jenner and Maya Sloan and Darkness Becomes Her - Kelly Keaton and some more to be read and watched!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
DESIGN BY THE BLOG DECORATOR